March 25, 2017, 10:17:51 PM

Author Topic: Looking for contributors  (Read 2127 times)

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looking for contributors
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
We are currently looking for people that want to join the project and help contribute.

Currently there is just a very few of us but we are in need of some help with several aspects.
  • Graphics - logo, images, anything to make things prettier
  • Moderators and Admins - Mainly for forum, site, and IRC
  • Mirrors - The more mirrors we have the better
  • Developers - Help build packages and fix issues
  • Maintainers - Take on one edition and keep it up to date and implement new features

This list is among the most needed. There are of course other things that need some help and if you would like to help out in any way, just let us know. We will be glad to discuss the requirements and what you can do to help.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:27:09 AM by dodgejcr »

Strit

• Core Team
    • View Profile
    • Strits.dk
Re: Looking for contributors
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:37:35 AM »
I volunteer a mirror, as soon as I get an rsync address that works. :P
Manjaro for ARM. YAY!

gryffyn

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
I would love to help in any way possible. I can do graphic design. I would also love to moderate/admin forums/IRC.
I would also be interested in maintaining a Raspberry Pi 2 edition, as I have an RPi2.
You can reach me at gryffyn <at> archlinux <dot> net

Thank you.
May all your code compile without errors.

Past

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
Hi,

I'm quite excited to see the release of Manjaro ARM, and would be happy to help use, test, and contribute to it in any manner I can.  As of now, I'd be happy to moderate/maintain a release. 

I own several Raspberry Pis, including the 2, a Beaglebone Black, two new C.H.I.P. boards, and have two PINE64s (x64 ARM board) en route, so I'm familiar/interested in ARM devices.   I prefer Arch Linux, so I sort of lean toward using the hardware devices that work with Arch. I use Manjaro as my daily desktop computer, and use it on friends/family member computers when Windows fails them.

As of now, I have a stand-alone Raspberry Pi/Arch Linux  based music player appliance (digital boom box, if you will) that I built.   It's operating off of Arch Linux, with MPD/MPC music server/client, with a DAC/amplifier in a wood box and some car speakers.  has some physical buttons (Cherry MX White keyboard switches) that control play/pause/navigation set up on the GPIOs, and a web based interface that displays the current song playing and such.  It has an LCD screen that displays a message, but isn't yet hooked up to display the current status of MPD.    I'm not a developer, but used Python to do all the magic stuff, and use the device on a daily basis.

I've also started working on a Rasperry Pi/Arch based timer system, to control relays, lights, pumps, as a hydroponic grow controller.   I have a basic timer function working, but is turnign into a project that's larger than I'm willing to do by myself.

My next plan is to build a portable PC using the PINE64 as a backbone with a custom ortholinear mechanical keyboard.

To date, I use Arch as my go-to RPI image, and love it, but use Manjaro as my daily driver desktop.   I really like the idea of a Manjaro base for ARM, and would like to help in any way I can, to contribute to the community developing it.

I'm open minded to switch over to Manjaro, as I've had quite a good experience with my desktop verision, and believe that ARM devices/IoT are the future of computing.   

Please contact me, so we can discuss this further.

Thank you,
Past

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
Hi,

I'm quite excited to see the release of Manjaro ARM, and would be happy to help use, test, and contribute to it in any manner I can.  As of now, I'd be happy to moderate/maintain a release. 

I own several Raspberry Pis, including the 2, a Beaglebone Black, two new C.H.I.P. boards, and have two PINE64s (x64 ARM board) en route, so I'm familiar/interested in ARM devices.   I prefer Arch Linux, so I sort of lean toward using the hardware devices that work with Arch. I use Manjaro as my daily desktop computer, and use it on friends/family member computers when Windows fails them.

As of now, I have a stand-alone Raspberry Pi/Arch Linux  based music player appliance (digital boom box, if you will) that I built.   It's operating off of Arch Linux, with MPD/MPC music server/client, with a DAC/amplifier in a wood box and some car speakers.  has some physical buttons (Cherry MX White keyboard switches) that control play/pause/navigation set up on the GPIOs, and a web based interface that displays the current song playing and such.  It has an LCD screen that displays a message, but isn't yet hooked up to display the current status of MPD.    I'm not a developer, but used Python to do all the magic stuff, and use the device on a daily basis.

I've also started working on a Rasperry Pi/Arch based timer system, to control relays, lights, pumps, as a hydroponic grow controller.   I have a basic timer function working, but is turnign into a project that's larger than I'm willing to do by myself.

My next plan is to build a portable PC using the PINE64 as a backbone with a custom ortholinear mechanical keyboard.

To date, I use Arch as my go-to RPI image, and love it, but use Manjaro as my daily driver desktop.   I really like the idea of a Manjaro base for ARM, and would like to help in any way I can, to contribute to the community developing it.

I'm open minded to switch over to Manjaro, as I've had quite a good experience with my desktop verision, and believe that ARM devices/IoT are the future of computing.   

Please contact me, so we can discuss this further.

Thank you,
Past

This sound like an awesome set of projects. I have listed what I need most and since this is all being built off of archlinux arm in the same respects as manjaro is built off of arch linux. Our only goal is similar to manjaro and is to make things easier and preconfigured for a variety of uses (see the Editions I have on the main page). Right now I only have the Raspi 2 supported because that is the only device I currently have in possesion. I have a friend sending me a beagleboard-xm and beaglebone black and I will start building packages for those. Strit is working on building up some packages for armv6 (raspi 1) so hopefully we can get that supported as well.

I have emailed a few device manufactures inquiring about sponsorship in order to get a few different devices in hands so that I can build for them but I do not want to rely on that. If you are interested in starting up a base for one of the devices you have, just find me in IRC or shoot me a PM and we can go from there. This is all volunteer of course so whatever you want to/can do is greatly appreciated.

I would love to help in any way possible. I can do graphic design. I would also love to moderate/admin forums/IRC.
I would also be interested in maintaining a Raspberry Pi 2 edition, as I have an RPi2.
You can reach me at gryffyn <at> archlinux <dot> net

Thank you.

This is great news. Once we get all the editions up and going (I still need to get a Media Edition alpha up and going) I will be looking hard for maintainers. In the mean time, we really need a logo. I want to keep the Manjaro M (although I think PhilM and manajaro might be changing that soon) but change it a bit for manjaro-arm. Frankly, I really dont know what I want :D. If you want to take on that task, post a topic with some examples and we can all put in our input and go from there. That way, others can work on it as well.

The on you see on the top of this forum was done in about 2 minutes by me adding the words next to the M. I dont like it and it looks horrible, anything is an improvement :D

I am also looking for someone to sort of take over the site. I used couchCMS to set this up and it appears to work as needed but there are still some bits and pieces needed. I of course would still make alot of the posts for News but anything else like new pages and stuff like that could easily be done by someone else, someone more knowledgeable about php/css/html than I
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:09:28 PM by dodgejcr »

icarter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:02:46 PM »
Really love that this project is taking off. I'm looking to help out as a developer and maintainer. What do I need to do to get started?

crash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
I am happy to help with the website if needed, send me a email with what you would like to see and have and I will be more than happy to make it work. 8)

ackmicro

• ARM Partner
    • View Profile
    • A.C.K. Micro
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 03:16:51 PM »
Hi,

May i could help sometimes...

i'm an ARM Partner, here to help you in developpement or for the code's adjustement.
I'm actually working on a lot of Arm soc RPI, BB, Ti Omap,...

Let's see if i could be usefull for this team :)

Enjoy
Stay your mind open !

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 12:27:58 AM »
Now that we have set up a way to keep the repos up to date and served up to the users, we are ready to start accepting mirrors. A few people have volunteered previously so I ask if you are still wanting to provide a mirror, please send me a PM so that we can get everything set up.

Thanks
--dodgejcr