May 29, 2017, 05:34:32 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Help Installing Manjaro ARM on XU4  (Read 581 times)

Spacesurfer

• View Profile
Newbie Help Installing Manjaro ARM on XU4
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:09:57 AM »
So I bought an XU4 in the hope of using it as a NAS. Want to run Manjaro ARM on it but have no idea how to go about doing that. I understand I have to find a kernel to use, compile it and then install Manjaro ARM onto an SD card. Read the Wiki but still need some help. I've only installed Linux over CD or USB, use a GUI for pretty much everything in Linux and have never complied a kernel before.

Thought I'd try using this kernel provided by ODROID but there are steps missing on how to compile the kernel. Wondering if anyone knows of a great step by step guide on how to compile the kernel, merge it with the Manjaro files and then put it on an SD card to run Manjaro ARM on the XU4. Figured if there is enough info gathered to get a green horn like me to install and running Manjaro ARM successful I could help out putting some documentation together for the Wiki so anyone could do this.

I know it's a lot to ask but figured I'd try. Am also willing to test stuff on my XU4 if someone throws something together but doesn't have an XU4 to it test on.

Strit

• Core Team
    • View Profile
    • Strits.dk
Re: Newbie Help Installing Manjaro ARM on XU4
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:13:54 AM »
Hi there.

The kernel for the XU4 is in our repo's, it's called linux-odroid-xu3 (because the xu3 and xu4 uses the same kernel).

We don't have an image for the XU4 yet, so I can't really help you with setting it up.

Maybe @Dodgejcr can help you. He knows about chroot fs's. :)
Manjaro for ARM. YAY!

Spacesurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll give the installation guide a go and see where that gets me.

Bit of a double edge sword not having to compile a kernel. Guess I can always do it for fun later  ;D

Edit: Spoke to soon. Followed the guide but forgot about this tidbit:
These packages are for building your own version of Manjaro-Arm. They are not meant to be booted on a device as is and because of that, include no bootloaders or kernels. It is essential just the filesystem structure with Manjaro-Arm files.

I got stuck in the install guide when it asked to move the root/boot directory to /boot but nothing was in there. Wondering where to go from here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:00:05 PM by Spacesurfer »

Strit

• Core Team
    • View Profile
    • Strits.dk
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:37:59 AM »
Well, that's because you are using a generic rootfs. All the device specifics (like kernels and boot stuff) you need to add yourself.
Manjaro for ARM. YAY!

Spacesurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »
So how do I do that lol Like I said, knows nothing but wants to learn.