April 24, 2017, 11:39:19 PM

Author Topic: Possible switch to Discourse  (Read 769 times)

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Possible switch to Discourse
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
For years I have been very much opposed to SMF forums. I love the way they look to the user but the admin side of things and maintaining could be alot easier. Now that Manjaro upstream project has switched to discourse, I was toying with the idea of doing the same. I have been playing around with it on a test site (local hosted) for months and really like the features and 'modernity' that it provides.

Is this something that the community would be interested in as well? I know some will just not like discourse and I completely understand. I dont have much experience with alot of Forum software so if there are any other suggestions, I would be open to those as well.

Software suites I am absolutely not open to because of past experiences and the goal of Manjaro-Arm (Simplicity in the forum):
Most Wordpress Forums -- Ive not tried all but most are just horrible and lack major features, plus needs a wordpress installation
vBulletin -- While nice, it has alot of things we just simply do not need. Its very much along the same lines as SMF when it comes to being just too much. Plus it adds extra cost to me.

I've some experience with phpBB, punBB, and fluxBB but not enough that it would be an immediate switch.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks
--dodgejcr

Linu74

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Possible switch to Discourse
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:08:41 AM »
I'm now at the New Manjaro Forum and it's 50/50 what i feel.
I think that Discourse have more Features than SMF.

Linu74

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
I'm now at the New Manjaro Forum and it's 50/50 what i feel.
I think that Discourse have more Features than SMF.

Linu74

Im sort of the same way. Im not sure I like it but I dont dislike it either. If we do switch, it wont be until a possible host switch for all Manjaro-Arm sites which may be a few weeks out. I really dont like how discourse is docker dependent and will only install with docker. Their manual installation notes are almost hostile to using anything but docker. Its almost as if they are closed off to anything but which keeps me hesitant. I dont like software like that, It should be up to me how I deploy and use the software :D

Time will tell and Im not at all commited to changing from SMF, just seeing how the community feels and if it something I need to actually look into more.

Strit

• Core Team
    • View Profile
    • Strits.dk
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 01:14:27 AM »
I like the speed of Discourse and they way it presents content. Although it's a little confusing to users of old forum software, you can set up catagories and change some permission stuff to make it feel a bit like SMF.
Manjaro for ARM. YAY!

gryffyn

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »
For the record, I love discourse.
May all your code compile without errors.