May 29, 2017, 05:36:41 PM

Author Topic: Manjaro ARM on Nvidia Tegra  (Read 414 times)

korfuntu

• View Profile
Manjaro ARM on Nvidia Tegra
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
First, I should state that while I have been in the IT world since the late 1970's and have built many of my own computers, my work as a programmer/analyst did NOT take me into developing operating systems for different hardware.  For that reason, I am curious about the possibility of porting Manjaro-ARM to other ARM-based computers, but have no background that would tell me immediately if something is possible or if it is completely out of the question.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11 laptop, currently running Windows RT, but utilizing an Nvidia Tegra 3 32-bit ARM-based processor.

What I would like to know is if it is feasible to use one of the currently-available Manjaro-ARM images to create an ISO bootable "live" DVD that I could use to boot my Yoga 11 to see if it is possible to run Manjaro ARM on such hardware.  I do not know if the Manjaro distribution is so irrevocably tied to the specific hardware that it cannot respond to other microprocessor that use the same instruction set.

Can the .IMG files be converted into live DVD ISO files?

Any ideas?  THANKS!

Strit

• Core Team
    • View Profile
    • Strits.dk
Re: Manjaro ARM on Nvidia Tegra
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
Hi there.

Glad you are showing interest in this project.

Regarding the Tegra. What architecture does it run? There are loads of kernels in the repo, maybe one of them works.
Getting a live image is another matter. Manjaro-ARM does not supply a "live image" before installing. You "burn" the image onto an SD or eMMC card and boot it, and you have an installed system.
Manjaro for ARM. YAY!

korfuntu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
The Wikipedia site gives a good short description of the Tegra 3 SOC chip and its capabilities here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_3

According to the accompanying chart on that page, my Lenovo Yoga 11 is apparently using the T30 variant of the Tegra chip.

Koeshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:27:28 PM »
So the T30 uses Cortex A9 which has the ARM v7 architecture.  The ALArm site has a number of devices on v7, including the TrimSlice which is made also made by nVidia.  However this is using the Tegra 2 which is dual core processor and I do not know how difficult it would be to get this working on the Tegra 3 even if it is possible.  In the devices listed for the T30 on wikipedia there are a number of devices such as an Android Eee PC and the Ubuntu Tesla S that use it so there must be a kernel available for the chip, but how easy it would be to get hold of them I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:30:04 PM by Koeshi »

Lolix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
Don't know if and how much T30 is supported but Nvidia provide a kit to run Linux on it

https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-archive

https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra-rel-16

Tegra Linux Driver Package providing a kernel image, bootloader, NVIDIA drivers, and flashing utilities.

Quickly read documentation, report a 3.1 kernel

Windows RT devices aren't locked down from booting other OS?