April 27, 2017, 03:31:47 PM

Author Topic: <IMPORTANT:> Shutting Down Manjaro-Arm EDIT: Possibly being continued  (Read 3761 times)

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Community,

It is with deep regret that we are announcing that the Manjaro-Arm team is shutting down. I started this project a little over a year ago with no intent to become the sole maintainer. My idea and goal was to start up the project and allow for people to take over and make this mainly a community driven distro. In the past year, I have had several offers of help and have received loads of help from several people however, nothing has been consistent and nobody has stepped forward to aid in building or maintaining. As much as I wanted to see this project take off, it just does not have the user base that we had hoped for.

As some of you know, Strit has provided so much to help the project and as such he has become an honorary project leader whether he wanted to or not. We conferred on many decisions and this one is not an exception. Both Strit and I are using our own resources to provide everything you see here and it comes at a cost. Our families, careers, and time are all being sacrificed and at the current state, that sacrifice is not worth the result. We wanted to provide an easy to use and easy to setup distro for your ARM boards and I think we succeeded in that regard but the only problem is, we are doing alot of work for just a handful of users. We appreciate every user we have but we just can not continue. It has been a rewarding experience and I do not regret trying to get this started.

It is important to note that, neither I nor Strit are completely finished with everything Manjaro-Arm. We will not provide any more releases and we will not be updating any more manjaro-arm specific packages. This website, the forums, and repos will remain active for some time. Read below for the time frame on those. If someone or a group of people would like to step forward and take over the project, please let me know. I own this domain for a year and the hosting of the site and repos will not go anywhere anytime soon if the project continues through someone else. I will gladly share any build notes that I have and even take the time to walk someone though every single procedure that we have for current maintaining. Even if you dont know much about how all of this works, I can break it down and teach. If it gains traction, I can still provide the hosting space and website admin (at a basic level) to help take some load off the next person.

I would of course like to thank all the people that supported us in the last year and the sponsorships we have graciously received. Linode and Digital Ocean for helping us with server space to start out, Oregon State University for providing us a rock solid repo mirror for the past few months, and Strit for becoming more than a friend and helping though every process along the way. Without any of these people, none of this would have even gotten started.

Ultimately I hope that this is not the end of Manjaro-Arm, I would llike to see it continue and I would love to be a PART of it moving forward but without a community behind it right now, it is time we must say goodbye.

Services shut down timeframe:
All development and Bug fixes -- Already shut down.
Package Building -- Already shut down
Package Adding -- April 1st
Releases -- Already Shut down
Wiki -- April 1st
Bug Tracker -- April 1st
Manjaro-Arm Website -- June 1st
Manjaro-Arm Forums -- June 1st
IRC Channel -- TBD
Manjaro-arm.org Repo -- Already Shutdown(this is only for the main repo at repo.manjaro-arm.org the other repos/mirrors are still available and will continue to be updated until May 1st.)

Thanks for everything,
--dodgejcr and the Manjaro-Arm Team

***EDIT: Currently there are discussions happening in an attempt to continue Manjaro-Arm through a group of people that would have more time than I. Nothing is final however, we will continue these discussions until a resolve can be found.It is important to note that even though the Project will be shutting down, I will not delete anything and all the work that we did will remain on local backups until needed again.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:09:39 PM by dodgejcr »

Linu74

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: <IMPORTANT:> Shutting Down Manjaro-Arm
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:27:42 AM »
Thanks to you dodgejcr and Strit. It was a nice time.

Linu74

glsmaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:34:10 AM »
Community,

It is with deep regret that we are announcing that the Manjaro-Arm team is shutting down. I started this project a little over a year ago with no intent to become the sole maintainer. My idea and goal was to start up the project and allow for people to take over and make this mainly a community driven distro. In the past year, I have had several offers of help and have received loads of help from several people however, nothing has been consistent and nobody has stepped forward to aid in building or maintaining. As much as I wanted to see this project take off, it just does not have the user base that we had hoped for.

As some of you know, Strit has provided so much to help the project and as such he has become an honorary project leader whether he wanted to or not. We conferred on many decisions and this one is not an exception. Both Strit and I are using our own resources to provide everything you see here and it comes at a cost. Our families, careers, and time are all being sacrificed and at the current state, that sacrifice is not worth the result. We wanted to provide an easy to use and easy to setup distro for your ARM boards and I think we succeeded in that regard but the only problem is, we are doing alot of work for just a handful of users. We appreciate every user we have but we just can not continue. It has been a rewarding experience and I do not regret trying to get this started.

It is important to note that, neither I nor Strit are completely finished with everything Manjaro-Arm. We will not provide any more releases and we will not be updating any more manjaro-arm specific packages. This website, the forums, and repos will remain active for some time. Read below for the time frame on those. If someone or a group of people would like to step forward and take over the project, please let me know. I own this domain for a year and the hosting of the site and repos will not go anywhere anytime soon if the project continues through someone else. I will gladly share any build notes that I have and even take the time to walk someone though every single procedure that we have for current maintaining. Even if you dont know much about how all of this works, I can break it down and teach. If it gains traction, I can still provide the hosting space and website admin (at a basic level) to help take some load off the next person.

I would of course like to thank all the people that supported us in the last year and the sponsorships we have graciously received. Linode and Digital Ocean for helping us with server space to start out, Oregon State University for providing us a rock solid repo mirror for the past few months, and Strit for becoming more than a friend and helping though every process along the way. Without any of these people, none of this would have even gotten started.

Ultimately I hope that this is not the end of Manjaro-Arm, I would llike to see it continue and I would love to be a PART of it moving forward but without a community behind it right now, it is time we must say goodbye.

Services shut down timeframe:
All development and Bug fixes -- Already shut down.
Package Building -- Already shut down
Package Adding -- April 1st
Releases -- Already Shut down
Wiki -- April 1st
Bug Tracker -- April 1st
Manjaro-Arm Website -- June 1st
Manjaro-Arm Forums -- June 1st
IRC Channel -- TBD
Software Repo -- May 1st (this is only for the main repo at repo.manjaro-arm.org)

Thanks for everything,
--dodgejcr and the Manjaro-Arm Team

Thanks for all you have done with this project. I run it on my Pi3 and hope it doesn't die out completely. I would be more than glad to help with Manjaro-Arm as I have the time. The thing is that I do not have the knowledge to do so.

johnvan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
Sorry to hear that this will end, but I understand that there are only so many hours in the day, competing pressures for that scarce resource.

Thanks for the fine work,
John

Koeshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »
I am very sorry to hear that and am grateful for the work that you have done.  The builds have been great and when I needed help with the bluetooth on the Pi3 Strit was very helpful.

pcanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »
First off, thanks for all the efforts that you have put into this distro. I haven't had it installed on my Pi for long, but it's definitely my favorite so far!

Secondly, how much time time, money, and skill does it take to maintain? I have no experience with anything like this. I've been running Linux for about 9 years (and know just enough to make me dangerous). Depending on the answer to that question, though, I might be interested in helping you (or whomever takes it over). I just have no experience to even know what kind of commitment that is.

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »
First off, thanks for all the efforts that you have put into this distro. I haven't had it installed on my Pi for long, but it's definitely my favorite so far!

Secondly, how much time time, money, and skill does it take to maintain? I have no experience with anything like this. I've been running Linux for about 9 years (and know just enough to make me dangerous). Depending on the answer to that question, though, I might be interested in helping you (or whomever takes it over). I just have no experience to even know what kind of commitment that is.

The time it takes to maintain this can either be overwhelming (few hours a day) or just a few hours a week. Luckily, we automated alot of the processes however, some things just take a bit longer. We will have to talk in a better setting for the exact breakdown. They money is just typical server costs. I can keep the site/forums up for as long as needed however my mirror has to be killed off soon. Oregon State has donated a mirror for us and as far as I know, it is permanent so that covers the mirror and release hosting. So I guess the cost to you or whoever takes over will be very minimal to start out. Between Strit and I, we have just about everything figured out and we are willing to pass that information to anyone obviously so the skill required can be gained through us.

icarter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
Thanks again for putting Manjaro Arm together. I would be more than honored to take over the Manjaro Arm project. I believe that I can also get more people together to help out with the project. What would be the best way to begin transferring knowledge and the process that you guys have put together?

korfuntu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »
Dodgejcr,

I am a great fan of Manjaro, and have installed Manjaro Arm on my RPi2.

I am sorry to see that the work of maintaining Manjaro Arm seems to be more than anticipated.

As a retired IT professional, I now have time to devote to other activities, and I would be willing to assist efforts to continue this project.  Because my career was spent as an application developer in corporate America, I do not have any experience in operating systems development.  Therefore, I do not know what contribution I could make to see Manjaro Arm continue, but I will just put my name in the list of potential worker bees who might make maintenance efforts easier on those who can contribute to the further development of Manjaro Arm.

Count me in!

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »
Thanks again for putting Manjaro Arm together. I would be more than honored to take over the Manjaro Arm project. I believe that I can also get more people together to help out with the project. What would be the best way to begin transferring knowledge and the process that you guys have put together?

Dodgejcr,

I am a great fan of Manjaro, and have installed Manjaro Arm on my RPi2.

I am sorry to see that the work of maintaining Manjaro Arm seems to be more than anticipated.

As a retired IT professional, I now have time to devote to other activities, and I would be willing to assist efforts to continue this project.  Because my career was spent as an application developer in corporate America, I do not have any experience in operating systems development.  Therefore, I do not know what contribution I could make to see Manjaro Arm continue, but I will just put my name in the list of potential worker bees who might make maintenance efforts easier on those who can contribute to the further development of Manjaro Arm.

Count me in!

Please email me (dodgejcr@manjaro-arm.org) and we can discuss what we might be able to do. If you guys are serious, we need to talk about what you can do and what you would want to do. Thanks

Also, I have updated some information about the repo situation. Currently, I am removing the mirror at repo.manajro-arm.org. The pacman-mirrorlist has been updated to reflect the removal of the mirror.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:51:50 PM by dodgejcr »

BrianLinuxing

• I am an IT manager, decades of experience.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this.

I love Manjaro ARM. It is great.

I have been meaning to help out, but got distracted with other commitments.

I will volunteer to do builds and testing on a regular basis if you need me, just email :)

Brian

dodgejcr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: <IMPORTANT:> Shutting Down Manjaro-Arm EDIT: Possibly being continued
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
Currently there are discussions happening in an attempt to continue Manjaro-Arm through a group of people that would have more time than I. Nothing is final however, we will continue these discussions until a resolve can be found.It is important to note that even though the Project will be shutting down, I will not delete anything and all the work that we did will remain on local backups until needed again.

I do not like to rush anything so as long as open discussion and planning is happening, I see no point in further stopping any Manjaro-Arm services at this point. What is already shutdown is shutdown but I can put the rest on hold until the group of people wanting to take over either decide to, or decide not to. Time is not important.

Thanks,
dodgejcr

Koeshi

• View Profile
Re: <IMPORTANT:> Shutting Down Manjaro-Arm EDIT: Possibly being continued
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:35:47 PM »
I am very glad to hear this.  I wish that I was able to be more constructive with things like this, but unfortunately I have barely dipped my toe into the world of programming and have no idea about how to do the work involved in maintaining a project like this.

I really hope this continues and if it does I wish the best of luck to the possible new maintainers.